
One day I happened upon a man standing outside of the Pennington Market, encouraging shoppers to contribute bags of groceries for a local organization. He was so vibrant and obviously successful in his endeavor (he was surrounded by a LOT of full grocery bags) I was drawn to his cause. When I handed him a bag of groceries on my way out of the market, he told me that it was one of fifty "good deeds" he was completing in honor of turning 50 years old. This idea of a personal vow of community service really appealed to me, and so I planned to commemorate my own 50th birthday by completing 50 trash pick-ups. I like to tidy things up, so picking up trash is a natural pastime for me. I'm still trying to think of the perfect motto, but in the meantime I'll go with... "It may not be my trash, but it is my earth... and I want to help keep it clean!"
No comments:
Post a Comment